Mixology Monday XCVII: I'll Take Manhattan

Our illustrious lead cat-herder has taken the helm this month and presented us with I'll Take Manhattan. Whilst I was researching the not-a-Martini I came across many recipes which are not a Bronx. This in turn got me thinking that I could flesh out the blog for much of the remains of the year with drinks which are not a Manhattan. Seems Fred has beat me to it, and enlisted all of you as well!

#feartheYarm

Once upon a time my Manhattan was, uh, perfect immature. Then it became this. Then....

Manhattan (Dry)*

3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 oz rye whisk(e)y
1 oz sweet vermouth

Stir well over ice. Strain. Garnish with an olive.

adapted from For Home Use

There you have it. My current Manhattan, for the most part. I find Carpano Antica is a nice olive accompaniment. Also a good bold rye stands up well to both the garnish and the ratio.




Cheers!
Be well!

*The book in which this recipe is found calls for (simple) syrup in the Manhattan recipe. This syrupless version is then the "dry" version and a third "extra dry" version calls for dry vermouth.

Comments

frederic said…
Thanks for your continued participation in MxMo! And I spotted your tweet about a footnote about the dry Manhattan. I'm curious too, but I'm guessing that it's the garnish?
Dagreb said…
I have now footnoted, Fred.

Popular Posts